Sunday, November 05, 2006

Stephan Grondin & Victor Calderone @ Stereo, Feb 11, 2006

Disclaimer: this is how I spent my Saturday/Sunday

I knew I should had gone to Stereo earlier. Usually I'm there right at the beginning, but for whatever reason, this time around I got to Stereo at 2:45am. Last night was super cold, and if I had known the wait in the line up was going to be that long, I would had brought my winter shoes instead.

Usually I would start the review of Stereo at this point, but because I spent over an hour waiting in line, I have to review the line up as well. 3 lines as usual, one for the non-ticket holders, other for the guest list and pre-sale tickets holders, and another, right at the entrance of Stereo, of the people that know someone from inside, and don't have to wait in line for an hour like the rest of us.

I had the opportunity to observe how line number two evolved. When I got there, there were probably 30 people ahead of me. Then more people arrived that knew people already in line, and 30 became 50 and then 70, and finally the line had multiplied itself in 2 lines. New security guy would come down to tell us to behave and to stick to the line, so people could keep walking in the sidewalk. People would ask him why the line was not moving, and I was not able to hear the response. First time ever that I spend 60 minutes in line and I didn't move an inch. That is not true, I did have to move because some people wanted to get into the coffee shop besides Stereo.

If I had to define the line I had to spend over an hour, I would say it was a cold line in waiting for a big warm up. Very vocal, participative and homeless at the same time. When it became a little bit windier, people would get closer to each other, I guess this was in anticipation to what was going to happen inside. Not sure why the line was not moving at all for such a long time, but I have to say if wasn't because I really wanted to hear Calderone, I would have gone home. My foot were frozen by the time I got in and people were becoming kind of impatient, and I don't blame them - it was super cold.

Moved to coat check area, and I thought about leaving my T-shirt there, then I remember how cold was outside, and decided to keep it with me, just in case. At the same time I understood why the line was not moving faster. Actually, I was going to say that the delay was caused by the fact there was only one person checking the names of the guest list people, but in reality I don't know why the line was not moving faster. The security girl saw how cold I was, and she was so nice to tell me that I should take my shoes off for a couple of minutes, this way my foot would warm up faster.

After had spent over an hour in line, in a such cold night, I think it was very appropriate that the first song I heard was "Sorry", by Madonna. It was like Stereo was apologizing for letting us wait outside for such a long time. I accepted the apologies of the temple, and quickly moved on to the dance floor, which was already packed.

Too bad I did not have the chance to experience the whole set giving by Grondin. He was spinning house music with vocals by the time I got upstairs. People were in a nice mood and I have to say, once I got up in the boxes, and saw the sea of people dancing, and moving around, I told myself it was going to be a good evening. Good vibe was coming out of all corners of the place.

Calderone came and his name was projected in the big wall opposite to the DJ both. I turned to the DJ both area and there he was, Señor Calderone live at Stereo. Last time Victor played at Stereo, people didn't stop talking about the party for days - if I'm not mistaken it was the recovery party on the Monday after the "Black & Blue". Someone, at the time, wrote a posting that might just summarize the whole evening: "...was so good I thought I was going to go crazy...at one point I could do nothing but scream..."

Happy Non-vocal House Music - this is how I define the music that Calderone used to introduce us to such a great evening. From happy house music, he moved to darker territories, and never allowing people to disconnect to one another. Every time I thought in taking a break, it felt like as if Calderone was speaking directly to me but turning up the notch. My body asked me for a break, and Calderone music was not allowing me to rest. Conspiracy against my body in first degree.

The music went digging to even deeper territories, and the beat got harder with time. After having danced so much, I had to listen to my body, and I cannot believe it, but I took a 20 minutes nap at Stereo. I found a little forgotten corner around, sat and closed my eyes for exactly 20 minutes. I body seriously needed the rest, and I have to say this "Stereo Siesta" took my energy to a whole new level.

Twice during the evening, Calderone decided to snap every body out of their little trips. Music was playing and then you heard a big BOOM, with a second of silence until the next song came out. Twice I looked towards the DJ booth after the big BOOM, and looked at the big smile in Victor's face. It was like he was saying "yes, you are down here again, and don't worry, you are going right back up with my music" and BOOM.

Several times during the night, Calderone was able to get people screaming by spinning "that" music. It must be uplifting to the DJs to hear the crowd totally approving their music, I believe it is like a good romantic relationship, the more you give, the more you get back - Calderone was not giving back music just for one person, he was having a musical orgy with the Stereo crowd.

Loved the red outfits of Kamaka and the Go Go Boys Dancers. Kamaka dancing is like children playing, innocent and genuine. We should have more of these little shows happening at Stereo. Saturdays should definitely have Kamaka and the boys, and on Friday Stereo should find a "Kamako" and some girls. I specially like the boy wearing the red underwear with black lines on it, and a flashing red light on the side. Nice tattoo in the back, and with the face of devil he had, it was the perfect combo to watch dancing.

It is always funny to find foreigners (foreigner in this case is someone from outside Montreal) that have never been at Stereo before. Two of them asked me what time Stereo closed, and they couldn't believe when I told them sometimes I had gone home at 6pm of the next day. There were a lot of new faces and some really good dancers during the whole evening.

There was a moment, during the evening, when the music became "stabilized"? It was like surfing a very nice wave, with no ups or downs, just nicely forward with splashing water in your face. This is when I realized someone had just dropped water in my head. The music sounded stronger this time around. It was not just underneath the disco ball, it was evenly distributed, almost at the same level, in every corner within the metal towers.

Lights were okay during the whole evening, there was nothing extra special which I could comment on it. Although you shouldn't completely take my word on it, because I spent a lot of time with my eyes closed. I just enjoyed the spot light giving to some of the normal dancers during the evening, and in almost every case, the dancer being spotted at was able to give a mini show to the rest of the people. Good job guys, with your 2 minutes of fame under the light.

Once again, Stereo used the projectors to add some extra ambiance to the evening. Sometimes showing the name of the DJs, sometimes giving us a taste of the outdoors activities, and sometimes just adding some psychedelic colours with lines to our eyes. For whatever reason I did not pay too much attention to this little technological showcase.

Liked the distribution of the boxes and the big stage at the end of the dance floor, which was cut in half to give room to the extra 2 boxes in the middle of the dance floor. I did get up in the boxes this time around, and if you haven't been up there, try it at least once. It is great to see everyone dancing to the magic sound of the music. Pay attention to the details, if you can, and you will observe everything that is happening. People smiling, people staring at people kissing, hands giving massages, and hands showing passions to body parts. You will see security people walking around in their black outfits, and they always leave me wondering if they are able to hear what whoever else is saying in their headsets.

Towards the end, Calderone decided to play some classics and a little bit of house with vocals. I cannot forget to mention I loved the tunes with "Batucadas" he throw at us, and probably this is the reason why my right hand side knee is in pain today. I should remember that just because is carnival time I should take it easy with my samba steps. The dance floor started to free out by 10am, and I love when I get more room to dance, not that I don't enjoy the warm cozy feeling of people around. Talking about sweating, on the front right hand side corner, I walked twice between the metal tower and the speaker, and there was someone with a very strong macho smell. I spent most of my time at the end of the dance floor, without visiting too much the straight or gay area.

It was almost 1pm when I decided it was time to move downstairs. I had to force myself to leave, because the music was going strong and while my common sense was telling it was time, to let it go, my body was trapped in Victor's conspiracy plan again my body.

Got my coat and walked thru the cold little walk of fame besides the coat check area. I do not remember seen Xmas decorations at Stereo in December, but those "green pines" full of Xmas decorations where there - where they used the night before and this is where they stored them?

What a surprise to arrive at the Stereo bar and see faces that had left Stereo upstairs for more than 2 hours already. Everyone was dancing to the tunes of Stéfan Lippé. After spending a whole evening with most of the music with no vocal, my ears were ready for some voices, and my mouth was ready to sing along. I know some people are tired of this song already, but how can I not mention the fact that when Lippé played "Say Something - David Morales Mix", it was like an invitation for everyone to move to the dance floor and ... say something ... few people were left sitting and ... say something.

It was a fun evening, with lots of dancing, new people, cold weather, not much controversy music wise as the previous night. Overall Victor came to do what he does the best, entertain his dancers while the energy is out there, and never forgetting to enjoy himself while spinning his music.

No comments: