Sunday, December 17, 2006

Joubin + Chus & Ceballos @ Stereo - Dec 15, 2006

I spent the whole day looking at my watch, because I couldn't wait to get in the dance floor and start dancing to the sounds of Chus & Ceballos at Stereo. After so much waiting, it was time and for my surprise, I'm guessing because of my birthday, I was given a pink ticket from Stereo - muchas gracias. I arrive a little bit after 2:00am and in not time we were inside, and I´m sure it was a good idea to come early, because I didn't fell like waiting in line for too long.

This time around a brought a friend, and it was her first time at the temple. She is one of those that claims everything in Europe is better, and I couldn't wait to show her a different side of my life that is neither better or worse, just different and special.

Joubin was the one setting the tunes before the arrival of the Spaniard duo, and is it my impression but he doesn't look that tall in the pictures as he did in the DJ booth. Music was slow at the beginning, I guess good tunes to let people come in and slowly set themselves around the dance floor. People arrived gradually, and by 3:00am the place was ready for take off. Joubin continued his in his relaxed mode until he thought people were ready to hear the real thing. This is when he started to drop so nice tribal sounds and other sounds, started to interact a little bit more with the public, and he even started to lift up his hands to the sounds of his tunes.

Not sure if it is because Christmas is right around the corner, or it is because some people are already in vacation, but everyone seemed to be in a good mood. Smiles in everyone, hugs here and there, and super energy was every where. By this time I had already given my friend the tour of the place, introduced her to different people, and she didn't stop saying: ¨why don´t we have more places like this in Montreal?¨ Only if my friend knew there is no way that someone could possibly replicate what happens at this little place.

Joubin could had been more energetic at the beginning, and he did catch up with himself in the second half of his set, and what a display of tunes he gave us. It was perfect warm up for what was to come. He was actually able to get me dancing in the podium during his set.

Interesting crowd for this evening, and the best was to see many people I haven´t seen in a long time at Stereo. Right at the beginning I didn't feel the vibe of the people, but it didn't take long for those smiles started to affect my mood, and next thing you know, there was magic in the dance floor. By the time Joubin had finished with the crowd, the place was out of control.

I believe Chus & Ceballos arrived before 5:00am, I think it was perhaps 4:30am when they came in, and all eyes and attention were put in the DJ booth. After some noise and clapping from the crowd, we heard the famous signature ¨Chus & Ceballos at Stereo¨, which made the people go wild for a bit.

The rest is history because those two boys were on fire for the night. The music was super inspiring, the mixing was just out of control, the interaction with the public was superb, and the magic that happens at Stereo didn't go away until the lights were turned on and people started to walk down the stairs.

The tribal sounds were super energetic, and this time around I felt a stronger presence of the Brazilian batucadas in their music. For a second I thought I was hearing house tribal music at its best display in the ¨Marquez de Sapucai¨ (Sambodromo of Rio de Janeiro). I couldn't stop dancing one second, and so the rest of the dancers. Talking about dancers, some very cute bodies moving around Stereo, both male and female - good treat to the eyes and the soul.

It didn't matter what time you looked up to see Chus & Ceballos, they were having a riot up there, they didn't stop smiling for one second, and it is just uplifting to see how the energy of the crowd irradiate more musical inspirations to those two boys.

Stereo got packed but not too crazy, there was enough room to dance, and the imaginary line of right and left was clearly created, but we all know we like to move from one side to the other of the those borders. By the time it was 10:00am I was ready to collapse from so much dancing, but the music was so intoxicating that my body did not allowed me to leave. It felt as if the music kept getting better and better with time, and the closer it got for the ending of the night, more energy was felt in the music. Absolute chaos in the dance floor, craziness at its best, and with such a timed and perfect set, how could one not go crazy?

People were sad by the time the end arrived, but happy because they had experienced one of the best sets this duo have giving us at Stereo, and let me tell you, the place stayed packed until the end. It felt as if the clapping didn't want to end, and the due was just too happy for another great night of good company, fine dancing, and great music.

After walking down the stairs, towards the coat check area, we were surprised by the new policy of picking up your coat here, and check it again downstairs if you want to stay. Not big deal, I got mine fast enough and as fast I checked it again downstairs, to continue dancing for another hour and a half. Chus & Ceballos joined us downstairs for a bit.

Stereo is slowly introducing new changes, and I guess is good that those changes are coming in stages, giving time for people to get used to them. Lets see what is next out of that bag of yours Stereo.

No comments: