Wednesday, July 06, 2011

Billy Lace and Theresa @ Body English - Las Vegas - Matinée - July 2, 2011




The Body English at the Hard Rock Hotel was the chosen venue by Matinée for their Saturday night main event. The venue is an underground small bunker type of place, having a set of stairs that lead you down to the dance floor in a very dramatic Gone with the wind entrance style. There is a mezzanine level surrounding the dance floor, and this is where the VIP section is located, but because I’m not the VIP section type of guy, I spent most of my time on the dance floor.

When I arrived Billy Lace was still in charge, and I was excited because I had seen Billy weeks earlier in Montreal, opening for Javier Medina, and if his warm up set was so delicious at Parking nightclub, I was just imagining what he had prepared for this party.



Unfortunately my expectation were not met, I found Billy’ set to be everywhere, and maybe I’m wrong but perhaps he kept looking for the correct style of music to play, and at the end it became a salad of house music, but with no dressing. Don’t take me wrong, the boys and girls were enjoying themselves, but the abrupt changes in styles kept messing up my total enjoyment of his musical set.



Los Angeles was massively present in the room, and this was confirmed by a Los Angeleno so I’m assuming it was easier to park in West-Hollywood during this weekend.



Personally I love smaller venues, because it somehow makes the crowd a bit friendlier, and this was true at the Body English, very nice crowd, and do I have to comment on the quantity of good looking guys? There was no way I was going to take my t-shirt off in the middle of a sea of 6 packs.



Theresa took over at around 2:00am if I’m not mistaken, and right away you feel the difference in the style of music and the energy it created on the dance floor. I’ve been fortunate to have been introduced to Theresa’s crazy energy hard happy tribal classic remixed sets in Montreal, and read my words, this girl will go far away with her contagious vibe.



There was no way people would not dance to the rhythm brought by this girl, the room actually went crazy. One thing that was missing this time was her usual playing the mini congas, or whatever name of the instrument she plays. Nevertheless this was a non issue, specially since the crowd wouldn’t have been able to see her in action, due to the location of the deejay booth in the mezzanine level.



Love the dancers Matinée chose for the night, and at the same time I ask myself why people are not allowed to dance on the stages while there are no go-go dancers? Is it a liability issue? I guess if someone felt the place could be sued by some crazy excuse? Whatever the reason, I always like when the crowd is allowed in those areas, it gives an extra vibe to the place.



One thing that annoyed me a bit was the fact the party was somehow interrupted for a good 15 minutes in order to open space for the Cirque du Soleil acrobat. I’m all for extra acts during the night, but please don’t kill the vibe because you want someone lifting himself on two sticks. There was already an area in front of the bar that could had accommodated this act - Matinée, next time please don’t kill the grooving energy Theresa had already created, just add to it by been almost invisible, like how they do it at the Cirque du Soleil, you almost don’t notice when one act ends and the other begins.



Overall I had a great time, good looking people, sexy dancers, nice venue, and awesome work by Theresa, a bit disappointed by Billy, and I’m sure he will prove me wrong next time I see him in action.

No comments: