Thursday, August 09, 2007

Shawn Riker & Danny Torrence - Climaxxx @ Stereo - August 4, 2007

Disclaimer: this is how I think I spent my Saturday to Sunday - there was a major brain malfunction happening, so I will try to write as much as I can remember.

If I’m not mistaken, Shawn Riker was a resident DJ at the short lived Sonic in Toronto, and if my memory doesn’t fail me, I believe I always read the Torontonian raving about him. I cannot recall if I have seen him before or not, but to tell you the truth I was there because of Danny Torrence.

There were so many people asking me if I was going to go to the Twist party, and the thought of going anywhere else but to celebrate the first anniversary of the Climaxxx night at Stereo wasn’t an option. I missed the launch of this night last year because I decided to go to the Out Games final party, but there was no way I was going to miss the first celebration of this night.

First I have to say that Stereo looked just fabulous, decorated with rainbow flags and multicolour balloons. I know it was not a gay night, but my respects to Stereo for recognizing the support of the gay community to the temple, for many it wouldn’t be a big deal, but we do sometimes pay attention to those little details.

The crowd was just beautiful, a combination of the true Canadian society, a bit of everything and anything, and I won’t measure my words to describe how attractive almost everyone looked. Beautiful men, beautiful women, energetic stuff, happy people, friendly atmosphere, and a lot of anticipation to what Mr. Torrence had prepared for the night.

Mr. Riker was interesting, he brought amazing music to the temple, my only complain is that maybe it was not placed correctly one after the other. One moment the music was here and next was way over there, I keep getting zapped in different ways, just wished it had been perfectly. Nevertheless, my hat off to the guy for feeling comfortable enough with the crowd - you could see how the Toronto crowd felt proud about having one of their own gracing the sacred decks. Shawn Riker felt so comfortable with the crowd that he started to play with us, at one point in time he started to stop the music, and let the crowd continue the music by singing along. He did it probably like three times, and surprisingly the crowed followed the game. Some said tacky, other just smiled, but most of the people just went along with it.

I won’t even try to describe the type of music being played - I’ll allow the professionals do this for me, and then the music stopped. Silence in the room and everyone looking at each other as “please don’t tell the me the system crashed.” No system crashed, it was Danny Torrence taking over the decks with a very dramatic entrance. I guess there was no way to do a clean transition from Riker to Torrence, and after hearing the beginning of the set I’ll probably say stopping the music was the best beginning.

Volume started to gradually move up in the scale, until I felt this feeling of being involved by the sounds. House music in the temple of house, and this is what Torrence gave us for the next couple of hours.

Torrence has been changing his style and I like it. More techno, darker and even more sensual, sometimes the sounds are spiced up by voices if needed, but most of the time just using the vibrations of each tune to do the job. I understand Danny Torrence was excited about achieving the first anniversary of his Climaxxx night, and he sure was pumped up for the night. Came down at least one time to the dance floor, which was just vibrating at very high energy.

Seriously, it was not just fun, it was super-fun. People were joking with each other, talking, dancing, kissing, and everything very real. Stereo was full but with enough space to dance Someone I know had this big smile in his face, and when I got close to him and told me “I don’t want this night to end”.

If my brain were working propriety I would love to get into more details on the type of music played by Danny Torrence, and the only thing I can tell you is I did not stop dancing, and when I was ready to sit down because the energy was not there anymore, I decided to leave. Great Climaxxx.

No comments: