Sunday, February 10, 2008

Stéphan Grondin & DJ Vibe @ Stereo - February 9, 2008

Disclaimer: please remember this is my personal view of the evening.

Either because people are getting tired of Winter, or they haven't seen Vibe and Grondin together in a while, but Stereo got busy right after the doors opened. Thank you Stereo for not letting us wait too long outside, actually everybody was getting in quite quickly.

Decoration was cute, specially those hearts lighting up during the whole evening, and good try with the ones placed on the wall right underneath the DJ booth.

It has been almost a month since my last dance madness at Stereo, and I really wanted Grondin to break me again. He had just returned from Brazil the night before, and either it was going to be a night with an okay initial set because he was still tired from his long trip, or he would be still wired from his Carnaval gig and give us a phenomenal warm up entrance.

Phenomenal is not the word I should used, "Inacreditável" describes better what Grondin brought to the dance floor. Sometimes I even forgot he was just warming up the crowd. The mixing was perfect, the choice of music was right on, and the music layers were fantastically placed on top of each other.

Tribal at his best, spiced it up with some vocals and known tunes, then the tunes became dirtier and deeper, and almost an hour before the arrival of Vibe, Stéphan switched to more techy sounds. I turned around and told one of my friends: "if Grondin is playing like that, I can just imagine what Vibe is going to hit us with".

Transition was smooth as usual, and I was surprised that Vibe decided to mellow down the sounds a bit. Maybe he was getting ready, because the only way I can summarize his set for the night is he was possessed.

Unbelievable showcase of talent by this Lusitano, there were times when I felt chills. He played hard techy progressive house music and more. It was as if he was giving it and everybody was taking it as a bitch. I won't even pretend to know the name of the tracks played, and even if I knew, one thing is to know the name, another is to experience the track.

The dance floor was on fire, not just because the intense vibe coming from the speaker and the decks, but also because of the beauty radiating everywhere by those sweaty bodies. Numerous good looking people, and there was not even quality control by security at the door.

There was a moment when the lights were coming kind of from behind Vibe's head, and he was going nuts playing his hard stuff, this is when I decided he was really possessed. Vibe was able to enchant the dance floor by evoking deeper music, by mixing to perfection, by bringing a progression of tunes that were better than the last one he had just played.

Although the night had all the ingredients to a perfect party, I had a good time, not fantastic as you might had expected me to say. Don't know, I think my head was in different places at the same time. Nevertheless, I won't take away from Grondin and Vibe the fact they gave us their best, and it showed - you just had to look around and see the happy crowd dancing.

The light show were also part of the night, perhaps I would had preferred to be a little bit darker than it actually was, but then it was a Valentine celebration, and red was the colour of choice for the night.

I cannot forget to mention, Danny Torrence did an excellent job downstairs. Meal for the champions: Grondin as appetizer, Vibe as main course, and Torrence as a dessert - the GVT combo. We are definitely spoiled in Montreal, but we deserve the best.

No comments: