Friday, November 03, 2006

Danny Torrence & David Morales @ Stereo - Oct 28, 2006

Disclaimer: if you didn't see the costume I was wearing, it is because not enough black light was used during the evening - otherwise you would had seen my leopard style spots all over my arms and my upper body - never mind, it only took me 2 minutes of preparation before leaving my house. With of without black lights, this is how I spent my Saturday / Sunday summary.

Combination of "it is cold out there" with "look at the costume this girl is wearing", plus "are those real pumpkins or plastic ones hanging from the ceiling?", and "man, that is super hot" - and there I was again, in the place where I don't have to worry if I take my T-shirt off or not. The place where I can be whoever I want to be, knowing no one will bug me. The city hotspot where if by mistake I walk into someone, they will just turn around smile and continue doing what they were doing, or maybe you might have just met a new friend.

I cannot get over how incredible the crowd was during this evening, and this is why I have to talk about them before anything else. Old faces with new ones, incredible good looking men and women, which made harder to keep the eyes closed while the music was playing in the background. Instead I would just follow the sexy moves of semi naked bodies, and some covered ones, that deliciously followed the beats of the night.

The dance floor did not stop one minute, and the vibe was contagiously exciting and powerful, and it was rare to see people sitting down, they were all dancing in any place available. I kept looking at the most dangerous areas to dance, the prohibit zone around the speakers, and every single one of them was occupied by a dancer that insisted in showing their moves while music blasted right behind their heads. I also noticed this new area located right to the left of the DJ booth, and every time I saw someone dancing there, I kept thinking that the only thing missing was a spot light that would follow the moves of whoever was dancing there once in a while.

Beautiful men with hard bodies, sexy gorgeous ladies with great altitude, and some really good costumes. I would say there was a fair number of dressed up people, and the best was that Stereo got packed but not as packed as a bus in India, there was enough room to move around, and it didn't get super hot either, which was good. Sometimes I would touch someone to move around them, and their bodies would be freezing - they would actually look at me and read what I was thinking and then tell me "I was outside smoking and it is super cold." One of them actually ended up hugging me to use my body heat to return to normal room temperature, and trust me, I would never had refused the hug from this guy.

Enough about the crowd, and lets go to the music. Danny Torrence was impeccable, not only once but several times he got me saying WOW. The warm up set was played at a comfortable volume level, with tunes that could be classified belonging to the whole spectrum of the House music. It was House music to the gods of the dance floor: vocal, non vocals, tribal, deep sexy dark sounds, old classy sounds, new ones, Latin - anyway, a diversity of music that might not work for someone else, but it works for someone as versatile as Danny Torrence. By the way, he did come down to the dance floor a couple of times during his first set.

The decor was a combination of orange fall leaves hanging on top of the dance floor, that matched the Halloween pumpkins that were used during the whole evening as part of the light show. It was super cool when the place would go pitch black, and the one thing you could see were the pumpkins up there. Don't know about you, but it kind of gave me this warm feeling, like a fire place in a living room.

Five o'clock in the morning, Morales turn up the volume, and there we are, the second part of the evening. Music was good and it went like this for a couple of minutes until the music stopped. I know Morales gave a small speech and usually I pay attention to these things, but this time around I was socializing with this straight couple I had just met in the dance floor. They were telling me how they had just rushed out of their house, after finding out that Morales was going to be spinning at Stereo for Halloween - anyway, they were super nice, and I even got a massage from the girl. My apologies because I have no idea what Morales said, oh yeah, I do remember he saying "Happy Halloween" and "it is nice to be home again".

My trip continue with Morales, and these trips are really unique, giving me this type of energy in the dance floor that is not easily replicated by others. David dropped great sound for the crowd to destroy in the dance floor, sometimes a whole song, others just pieces of it, and it drove the people nuts. One minute the music would be wavy sensual, then it would come down hard, and it was as if the crowd had just gotten electrified with pure energy.

I believe he went Techno-proggy for a bit, and we know he loves his divas, and I love them as well, and for sure I got my good exposure of them for the night - loved it. Some people I talked to told me the music was up and down while Morales was spinning, but I have no complains, on the contrary I could not stop dancing all night long. Actually, I did stop dancing a couple of times, but it was because the music stopped, and one of those silent moments, it kind of went for too long, but anyhow I was sure Stereo was going to have people dancing for more than 12 hours, so I took those small moment as mini-mini-recesses (okay, I admit it, they were kind of annoying).

Super vibrant and energizing set by Morales, and probably he had to recharge the batteries because I believe it was around 11 am when Torrence came back to the booth. Spot light in the master, and next thing he began his intermediate set with those vibrant vocals of Maya singing Alone. I got chills in my body, and couldn't stop singing nor dancing - it was such a great re-entrance, outstanding actually. There was more, and more, and by the time Morales returned to the booth, it was probably around noon or something. I had no more energy left, and my knees were ready to give up. I danced like crazy all night long, and looking forward the next time. It was great to see such a happy and diverse crowd, and I'm sure other places only dream in getting a fraction of the energy level we keep experiencing at this place.

Dragged myself to Stereo bar, where I was hypnotized by the sounds of don't know which DJ. Didn't leave right away and stayed dancing a little bit longer, and for sure other people were captivated by the same sounds, because the place was packed.

ps. I would love to give a list of great song dropped during the whole evening, but I'm one of those that have horrible memory to remember name of songs.

Patius

No comments: