Friday, May 02, 2014

Brazil - May 2014

It is incredible, we are already in the 5th month of the year.  I just returned from my Brazilian business trip, and it is sad to think I was so close and at the same time so far away from the Word Cup.  It would be my dream to spend sometime in Brazil while this event is happening, and probably I won't see it happening again in Brazil in my lifetime, but this is how it is.

One interesting thing I noticed was that usually Brazil dress up for the World Cup, the people and business place flags everywhere in preparation for the games. I spent time in Sao Paulo, Porto Alegre and Rio de Janeiro, and in none of those major cities I saw any type of excitement.  Maybe it is a way to protest the a lot of money has been spent in the games, while there are so many social issues in the country.

Nevertheless I know once the games begin, Brazilians will go crazy, and yes there will be so many issues with transportation, and everything else but I guarantee you first time visitors will fall in love with this country.  I also believe first time visitors will be surprise to find out how expensive Brazil really is.

This picture was taken from the Sheraton Leblon in Rio de Janeiro, and in the background you see the favela of Vidigal.  The contrast is just incredible, where the poorest people of the city own what could be the most expensive real estate, and have the best view of all.




and this is what the actual non-filtered picture looks like




and this other picture was taken while leaving Rio de Janeiro, from the Galeão Airport (GIG), and I have no idea what is the name of those mountains in the back.  Edit: the pointing peak at the end is called "dedo de Deus" (God's finger).


No comments: